Tuesday, March 25, 2008

on the up-up...

Well, yeah...just like the header says. I'm kinda happy these past few days. No, it's not due to the use of recreational drugs. I've just been kinda happy. My sister in law left for the Philippines the weekend before last. That left my brother and I to our own devices. Right after we brought her to Changi and said our farewells, we went straight to the mall to buy XBox 360 games! Something we never do when she's around.

Last Saturday we also went out to go see Vantage Point. The movie started off well but by the third time rewind schtick, I kinda got bored. Plus the ending is soooo "meh". Nonetheless, we had fun. Saturday evening my mom called and asked for a list of stuff I needed and wanted from back home so she could go out and buy them before my sister in law flies back. 

This is where things start to get deep. My mom actually accused me of being an atheist! Damn! That actually hurt. I've been pretty open about my being agnostic at home. I question their religion a lot and they seem to be fine with it. I had no idea she took this personally. It's like "I brought you up to believe in a God." I'm like "I still believe in God just not in religion". But I think I didn't communicate that part well with mom 'cause she certainly didn't understand any of that crap. So to keep things short, she guilted me into hearing mass last Sunday.

So, I told my brother that we had to go to mass on Sunday or we're both gonna have a very angry mother. We both accused my sister in law of ratting us out but when we got to talk to her, we found out she didn't talk to mom about that. 

So off we went to church last Sunday. We took the cab since we were cutting it close.I HAD to cook breakfast after all. So we got there. The church was packed full of people. Mostly Filipinos but there's the occasional local, malay and expat here and there. The mass was supposed to be in Tagalog but a chinese-local priest presided so we only got to sing Tagalog songs but the rest was in English...erm...Singlish. The priest did well, I actually found his homily interesting and it his jokes were funny.

All in all, a good weekend. I felt happy after I went to mass. I don't know if it's faith or just remembering good memories. I hope this good feeling carries on for a while. I'm not looking forward to crashing back into depression anytime soon.

No comments: