Wednesday, December 14, 2005

on friendship, catching up, and getting royally screwed...

I missed doing this...y'know, just airing my thoughts, not a care in the world...it doesn't matter who gets to read this shit anyway...it wouldn't hold up in court.

It's been officially three days (time check: 1:32AM December 14) since my little "get-together" last Sunday. It was a day of ups and downs to say the least...

I told the people who actually gave a damn that they should come over lunch time onwards 'cause my mom and I'll be pretty pre-occupied cooking and preparing shit in the morning. So little dumb me was actually expecting people to come over around...I dunno...noonish? The only things that arrived around lunch time were 4 SMSs: 2 informing me of cancellations and 2 informing me of "possible", no, scratch that, more like: "probable" cancellations. So I was like: "ok, so two people aren't coming and two are kinda lost...cool..." I got my first ray of sunshine when Van asked for directions to my house from Makati, which I willingly gave, I even called her to explain the directions clearly...

Then, Philip arrived, we ate, with my family (because we all decided to dig in because people were surely taking their sweet time arriving...). We decided to play a little PS2...then Joey (Joetech, as he's known in school...because I'm THE Joey...hehehe) arrived too which was fun because we got to catch up, then Herbert popped up, we had a blast sharing stories and generally just enjoying friendly banter.

That's when I got the biggest fuckin load of SMSs telling me how sorry my "friends" were for not being able to come...so I took it all in stride but I ended up thinking: "that's gonna be a whole boatload of leftovers my family and I have to endure the entire week,or month..."

I got a nice surprise right about then...Jona showed-up for a little dessert (because she had this little sumthin-sumthin going on in her house as well) with her cousin.

I was just enjoying my friends' company when the inevitable goodbyes came. Jona and her cousin were there just a while 'cause they had to get back home soon. Joey and Herbert decided to leave together. The dreaded question finally came...my mom asked: "will someone else be coming? or can I start packing the food already?" God! What a bummer!!! But Ren and her new catch decided to come and they had fun eating the spinach...hehehe.

That's when I decided to end the day. While I was feeding the dogs that evening, I thought long and hard...I even asked my sister if birthdays did lose their "special" quality as you got older. She replied with a simple, sincere, and ghastly "YES"...

That's when I decided: THIS'LL BE THE LAST TIME I EVER CELEBRATE MY BIRTHDAY...

Not that I'm bitter or anything...heck! My friends did have good excuses...It's just that, when I'm old, and when I think back on the birthdays I've had, I wanna remember good times y'know? Not disasters dealing with flakes and architecs (drawing...). I think it's better that way. I already had a taste of how sucky your birthday can get last 2004 when my family just skipped the whole "it's my friggin birthday today" fact. I think I'll just have a beer next year and contemplate on my biological clock counting down to my ultimate doom. Well...your birthday is just another day in a year right? What so special about that?

No comments: