Sunday, March 04, 2007

a loser but a winner all the same...

What is the difference between a jobless De La Salle University graduate and someone from let's say...a less known institution?

The answer: NOTHING...

Both would be unproductive members of society and would be dead weight to both their families. The distinction comes from their backgrounds, not from their employment status. We could say that a La Sallian bum still has the opportunity to go out and play, whereas the other graduate would be probably be drowning in financial woes. This makes the La Sallian graduate a "PRIVILEGED LOSER" while the other person remains a plain loser.

This has been the thought dominating my whole thinking process the past few days. I have tried to assuage my fears and parlay into activities that are more fruitful but every now and then, during an exceptionally dull part of my day, my mind can't help but wander...

I do my best to quell my worries and at times, I have found that it helps being around family. Doing stuff that you would not be able to do otherwise while employed is the focus of my daily routine. I washed my clothes at 2 AM this morning, just enjoying tea while I lounged in our sitting area downstairs while the washing machine did its thing. I helped my dad fix dinner earlier and even set the table with mom. The highlight would have to be making chicken macaroni salad with mom and dad. The times I actually enjoy my dad's company don't come that often and our little family activity earlier felt really refreshing.

In the end it, everything does become a matter of perception. Why do we tend to focus on the negative? Are we really capable of accepting everything in context and view our lives in abject objectivity like we should?

Right now, are you a winner or a loser?

No comments: