Monday, March 12, 2007

regrets...

My sister and I had a significantly serious discussion last night. And yeah, we talked before my last two posts. Sorry I didn't type it right away. I had to digest it first. Now, I have the opportunity to regurgitate what I've digested (eeeeeew) and share it with you.

We were basically talking about past mistakes and the regrets that inevitably accompany them. I was feeling bad about the decisions I made during my college days. I'm still regretting my decision (or lack thereof) to take up engineering. I'm still itching to study or at least do something connected with advertising. I really wanted to take up Advertising or a double management (or at least an Arts/Commerce) degree. I honestly think I'm better suited for that. My sister also thought back to her decision to study Dentistry. It would've done her good to take up a communications or language course 'cause that's what she's naturally good at. I'm not dissing my sister's talents as a dentist. Don't get me wrong, she's awfully good at that too but looking at the respective career paths we took, one can't help but question our intent when we decided on our degrees...

The tenets of Bushido say that when an action is done with honor, there is no resounding feeling of regret. That's why it is a sin for samurai to feel regret. Is it really possible not to regret anything? Can people do it right in one go?

No comments: