Tuesday, July 10, 2007

the wonders of bureaucracy...

In my quest to spread my wings (and fly, butterfly...YUCK...EEEEWWW...I can't believe I typed that in!) to attempt to leave the nest (aka: my home) and find my own way, a horrendous secret of mine surfaced and is now haunting me BIG TIME! Unbeknownst to most people save my family and closest friends, I was born with an ugly secret...AN UGLY NAME!!!

"Jose Rey Hernandez Sta. Agueda"...I know...EEEEWW TO THE NTH DEGREE!!!

So my parents saw the error of their ways...and...corrected my birth certificate themselves!!! JUST USING CORRECTION FLUID!!! How stuuuuuuuuuupid is that?! So all my legal documents except my birth certificate are addressed to "Joseph Rey Hernandez Sta. Agueda".

So I had to use my right to have my name changed (allowable once in my country) to have everything ironed out. This includes having your new name printed in a newspaper, announcing the change. There's also a public hearing (which I didn't attend) and a looooooong trip to the National Statistics Office in East Avenue. I did everything and I discover that I can only get the new birth certificate on the 25th!!!

I could've just puckered up and used my real name but then I wouldn't be able to apply for a job in SIngapore since the names on my passport and diploma won't match. If I only planned on visiting the country for pleasure...sure, no problem...BUT I'm moving there to work remember???

*sigh* my feet hurt right now...but I'll live...and I'm really thankful for the MRT ride (only the second of my life!!!) for reasons people will never know (wink, wink) HAHAHAHAHAHA! I'll just tell a select few why the MRT rides made up for the harrowing experience...

No comments: