Tuesday, February 20, 2007

truth...

Now that I've covered Mich's request, I can get down to business.

Have any of you played "20 Questions" or perhaps the better known "Truth or Consequence/Dare" and even the infamous "Spin the Bottle"? What makes these games such hits in parties and sleepovers? Or in my case, what makes it such a good distraction, a perfect way to pass idle time?

I remember interning for Intel and incorporating 20 Questions into my boring MoRV routine. Mich (wow! two posts, back to back! you must fee really special right now huh? :p) and I would go into the production line and validate machines which is super boring. There's this one tool in the Burn-In process that takes extra time to validate. The ovens! Mich would usually help me out and we'd have a good round of 20 questions. Even when we're bringing in JAFS (peoplespeak: Jigs and Fixtures = tables, chairs, etc.) I'd make it a point to throw in a couple of questions here and there.

Fact is, TRUTH IS quickly becoming A SCARCE COMMODITY. In our age and time, we have mastered every aspect of covering or even sometimes altering the truth which is actually unnerving. It's so easy adding a well placed word or two in our online profiles. Some people have even resorted to editing their photos to get desired results. Hacking and Identity Theft are so common nowadays that some countries have created agencies to deal with Internet/Technological Crimes.

Although I would be the first to admit that I have skeletons in the closet, (pun intended) I can't believe that I try soooo hard to cover up or change even the simple stuff. We change our preferences to suit our environment. We go to upitty places when we're with our well off friends while we just go to McDonald's with others. I know people who hate coffee who drink lattes like caffeine addicts suffering a relapse in Starbucks.

In a world where "being yourself" could lead to your demise, just how much are we willing to cover up or even change? And is it possible to go in so deep under cover that we actually begin to forget who we really are?

No comments: